top of page

Ammadelle

  • Jay Brothers
  • 13 hours ago
  • 2 min read

637 North Lamar Bl Oxford, MS

Circa 1859-post Civil War. Italianate style


Image from White Pillars
Image from White Pillars

This beautiful home was built by Thomas Evans Bedgegood (E.B.) Pegues (1812-1874) and Charlotte Johnson Pegues Pegues (1814-1883). The first cousins wed 1834. It was started in 1859. His grandfather came from England and resided in Charleston, SC amassed a plantation about 20,000 acres large. His son moved to Alabama and created a large plantation there.


Pegues was from South Carolina and as he made his fortune, he accumulated 5,000 acres near Lafayette Springs to the east of Oxford. Pegues planted all the oaks along Lamar Ave. toward his home. His cousins were Nicholas, Alexander Hamilton, and Rebecca Pegues - all important pioneers of Oxford and Lafayette Co. He was an investor in the Lexington & Woodville Railroad Company in 1836. 


Each of the male cousins amassed about 5,000 acres each. The plantations were northeast of Oxford near Abbeville along Woodson’s Ridge. Nicholas purchased the Magnolias on University Ave. 


From 1894-98, Charles and Margaret Roberts purchased the property and called it Edgecomb. They had lived at the Roberts-Price-Sloan Home. After Charles died, Margaret sold the estate.  


In 1898, Liedbem “Bem” Price (1850-1903) and Mary Delle “Delle” Bowles Price (1855-1934) bought it and renamed it Ammadelle. They wed in 1876. It was named after his sister, Amma,and his wife Delle. Bem’s parents were Washington “Wash” and Frances Price of Lafayette Co. Wash was from a wealthy North Carolina family, and Frances family was one of the largest landowners in Lafayette Co. After Bem died, Delle remained. After her death, it passed to Price’s niece, Minnie Silvely who lived in Anderson, TN with her husband, J. W. Silvey. 


Ammadelle was then purchased by David Glenn Neilson (1892-1971) and Martha Rowland Neilson (1892-1965). Neilson was part of the 3rd generation of Neilson family (along with 4th generation, nephew Herman Glenn) to own Neilson’s Department Store. The home was featured in the 1950s film “Home from the Hill.” Over time, lots were sold, and the Ammadelle subdivision created. 


From 1961 to 2016, the Tatum family owned it with 7 acres. John F. and Dorothy Lee Hargove Tatum were the last family members to reside there, and Dorothy passed away in 2015. The Tatums had extensively restored the property. Dorothy was a board member of the Center for the Study of Southern Culture. 



In 2016, Mac and Elizabeth Monteith purchased the estate and sold their home in the Ammadelle subdivision. Mac is an Ole Miss MBA  graduate and Alumni Board member, owner of Monteith Construction, LLC,  an Oxford developer and owns the Oxford Creek subdivision as well as owner of Capstone Partners. NR 1974 See Magnolias, Roberts-Price-Sloan House


Sources:

Comments


Subscribe Form

Thanks for submitting!

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn

©2020 by History through Homes. Proudly created with Wix.com

bottom of page