top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Andrew Crockett House/ Crockett-Knox House


Photo by Alan Shipston


Located at 8230 Wikle Rd. East, the property was built about 1800 by Major Andrew Crockett (1747-1821) and Sarah “Sally” Elliott Thompson Crockett (1750-1821).


It is a 2 story Greek Revival home. Crockett served in the Revolutionary War and received large tracts of land in various places. By trade, he was a gunsmith, blacksmith and cattle farmer. Various research shows large grants of 2,650, 5,400, and 2,400 acres in Kentucky and 740 acres in Tennessee. Henry Clay served as his attorney in Kentucky to settle land disputes until 1812. The Crockett family settled in the area in 1799 on a 640 acre land claim. The first home was a log cabin in 1800. There were 4 grants to Crockett family members: 1) Joseph Crockett, grandson, settled Moores Lane (now Crockett Springs golf club); 2) Wilson Pike and Crockett Rd where Crockett Elementary School is; 3) the land of Brentwood Country Club; and 4) John. H. Crockett, grandson, settled Wilson Pike and Osborn Rd. (now Colonial Lake Estates).


The Crocketts were originally French Huegenots who eventually converted to Protestantism in the Reformation and were forced to leave France. While on the journey that ended in North America, the name was changed from Crocketagne to Crockett. The father, Samuel Crockett, came to America about 1720. Evidently he met a young girl on the ship, was smitten, and told her father of his interest and that he would wait for her to come of age to marry. And when old enough, he wed Esther Thompson. Her family ended up in Middle Tennessee as well. By 1820 Andrew had increased the Brentwood area land holdings to 400 acres.


Early in the 1800s, Crockett gave some land to sons including Samuel Crockett who built Forge Seat. He and Sam operated a well-known forge to build metal works including firearms. The accurate rifles were known as the Crockett Rifle, and were used by General Andrew Jackson’s militia in the Indian Wars as well as the Battle of Orleans. About 1815, Crockett sold the blacksmith portion of business to James Crockett. and then built his new home - in which he and Sally lived for about 7 years.


One of Sally Thompson Crockett’s nephews was Thomas “Tommy” Thompson of Brightwoods and remembered by Thompson Lane. By about 1850, ownership had changed to the Knox family. In 1988, the owners were Theodore and Janet Thompson with 1 acre. In August 2020, the property was sold. NRHP 1988 See Brightwoods, Forge Seat


Sources:

Recent Posts

See All

Riverview: Bye bye because of I-65

Near Murfreesboro Rd. and Hwy 96. Circa 1820 Built by John Nichols (1789-1863) and Elizabeth McCown Nichols (1799-1881). They wed in 1814. His father had a Revolutionary War grant in Edgefield in Nas

Hightower Place/ Buck Davis Place

Old Wilson PK south of Old Smyrna Rd. in the current Corondele subdivision. Circa 1800 Richard R. Hightower (1764-1820) and Nancy L. Smith Hightower (1770-1849( were early settlers in the Brentwood ar

Comments


bottom of page