top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Avondale

Updated: Jan 14

The house was built off Granny White Pike (then called Middle Franklin Pike) about 1852 by Dr. William Henry Morgan (1818-1900) and wife Sarah Ame Noel Morgan in the same year they married.


Prior to the Civil War, they moved from downtown Nashville to Middle Franklin Pike (Granny White Pike). Dr. Morgan was a prominent dentist in the late 1800s: first president of the Nashville Dental Society, first president of the Tennessee State Dental Assoc, founding organizer of the American Dental Association in 1860 (president in 1871). He a founder of the American Dental Association in in 1860 and president ten years later in 1870. He was a founder of both Vanderbilt University College of Dentistry in 1879 and of Meharry Medical College of Dentistry. In 1849, he formed a practice with Dr. T. B. Hamlin.


His son, Dr. Henry William Morgan, was the first student and graduate of Vanderbilt to earn a M.D. degree in 1875. He got a D.D.S. in 1876 and followed his father’s footsteps - becoming Dean of the Vanderbilt Dental School in 1911 through 1919. The H.W. Morgan family lived at Dunmore.


Dr. Morgan had interests in two silver mines: Silver Mining Company in Tennessee and Santa Gertrudis Mining Company in Mexico. He also was affiliated with the National Life Insurance Co. He retired as dean of the Vanderbilt College of Dentistry in 1900. See Dunmore


Sources:

Nashville Pikes Vol 1, pp. 279-282



Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Comments


bottom of page