top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Beech Grove

Built in 1851, Beech Grove is located at 8423 Old Harding Pike near the Davidson/ Williamson Co. border.



Photo by rossograph


The property was originally a 200 acre plot purchased by Hugh Allison (1767-1835) and Lydia Harrison Allison (1777-1834) from James Robertson in 1801. Hugh and Lydia married in 1797. Hugh was active in local Democratic politics and expanded his farm with saw and gristmill operations. In 1801, Hugh was a member of the Davidson County Court.


In 1835, Hugh died and his son Thomas Jefferson Allison (1808-1897) with wife Tabitha inherited it. Thomas and Tabitha Newsom Allison (1819-1910) had married in 1837. Tabitha had grown up nearby at Newsom Station to the north. Thomas was also active in politics and successful with the farm which became a plantation at 1,150 acres. The operation included the farm, saw and grist mill as well as a blacksmith shop and a store. Their daughter Tabitha “Bitha” Allison married William Eldridge DeMoss in 1871 of Belle Vue. Tabitha purchased a general store from Norman Morton as well as operating a granary on Old Harding Road which now houses an Elk’s Lodge. There is likely a family connection between the general store and her granddaughter’s Morton in-laws.) After the Civil War, the Allisons sold land reducing their farm to about 300 acres and rented out to tenant farmers.


At Tabitha’s death in 1910, her granddaughter Allie Newsom Morton (1871-1964) & her husband Samuel “Sam” Spragins Morton (1871-1948) got the farm. For the next 50 years, they transformed it from a cotton & grain operation to a livestock farm. The farm production was changed to more corn. The family also changed the design of the home to a Colonial Revival style.


After Allie passed away, her daughter, Sallie Allison Morton King (1906-1994), sold the property out of the family in 1975. Beech Grove is represented in a case study named “Historic Family Farms of Middle Tennessee” as one which documents the change from origin to plantation to modernization of operations. Later owners continued selling parcels except the outbuildings.


In 1993, Dr. Marek and Mrs. Michelle Kacki purchased the home, buildings and 12 acres. They called the property Beech Grove Historic Venue. The name came from the trees around the house. Just northeast of the property are the Loveless Cafe and the terminus of the Natchez Trace Parkway. NRHP 2007 See also Belle Vue


Sources:


Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Comments


bottom of page