top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Bellwood (Davidson Co.)

Bellwood was built in 1900 on Golf Club Lane (current : 414 Bowling Road) by Elizabeth Josephine “Josie” / “Johanna” Cole Edwards (1852-1936).


It was constructed as a white wood frame home of 3 stories with a spacious wraparound porch. The estate was built just southeast of the newly-developed Nashville Golf and Country Club. Johanna was the daughter of E.W. and Anna Russell Cole of Colemere and the widow of S. (Samuel) Walker Edwards (1846-1895). They wed in 1871. Five years after Walker’s death, Elizabeth built the mansion for her daughter, Anna Walker Bell, and her husband, John Arnold Bell, and she resided with them. In the early 1900s, Elizabeth was involved progressive women’s groups locally. She was President of the Housekeeper’s Club in 1906 which shared ideas of science and economics to enable a better household and society. She also donated her city home on Eighth Ave. North to the club about that time as well. Walker Edwards had been stepson to Col. A.W. Putnam of Waverly. He had been a general agent for 13 years in Nashville for East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia Air Line Railroad.


Twenty years later, In 1920, Mrs. Edwards and the Bells built a new house at Belle Meade Boulevard and Deer Park Dr. (likely 231 Deer Park Dr.) and moved from Bellwood as that was a new, more fashionable area of town. A large northern portion of the estate was developed for residences.


Later, a large apartment house was built on the Bellwood property. At some point, a street was built and named Bellwood Ave. in front of the property. The house was named Bellwood for John and Anna Bell. See also Colemere, Waverly


Sources:

Nashville Pikes Vol. 3 150 Years Along Harding Pike, p. 120

Recent Posts

See All

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Goochland: Vandy Ties

North Jefferson Pike (no longer exists) Built in 1842. 2 story red brick Greek Revival Dr. John Claiborne Gooch (1800-1853) and Elizabeth Ann Saunders Gooch (1814-1877) wed in 1831 and settled in Davi

Comments


bottom of page