top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Bishop Robert K. Hargrove House

Bishop Robert Kennon Hargrove (1829-1905) and Harriet Cornelius Scott Hargrove (1832-1894) built their home in 1888. It was a 2 story brick house in Italianate style at 5001 Park Ave.


Six years earlier, in 1882, the General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, had elected Hargrove bishop. In 1886, the Methodist Episcopal Church South which had founded Vanderbilt University 9 years earlier named Bishop Hargrove to the Board of Trust, and then from 1889-1905 he served as president of the Board of Trust. (The Central University of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South had been organized in 1872, and then changed its name to Vanderbilt University after Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt’s large gifts totalling one million dollars.)


Harriet was very involved with home missions and her home became the headquarters of the Home Mission Society. After Harriet died, Bishop Hargrove wed the Missouri widow Ruth Eliza Scarritt (1845-1918).


In 1905, suffering poor health, Hargrove resigned as Vanderbilt University President. Two years earlier, In 1902, he sold the house to Judge John Lawrence Nolen (1853-1908) and Susan “Susie” Blackman Hamlett Nolen. They wed in 1874. (Nolensville was named for John’s grandfather William.) Later Emanuel Weise (1864-1923) and Nettie Leibovitz Weise (?-1942) owned it. Weise was a Nashville merchant. Then it evolved to a boarding house before being torn down. Currently, a Shell gas station and Nashville Cash and Carry operate on part of the property site.

Recent Posts

See All

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Goochland: Vandy Ties

North Jefferson Pike (no longer exists) Built in 1842. 2 story red brick Greek Revival Dr. John Claiborne Gooch (1800-1853) and Elizabeth Ann Saunders Gooch (1814-1877) wed in 1831 and settled in Davi

Comments


bottom of page