top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Bonaventure: Offshoot of Honeywood Farm

The large red brick house was built in 1911 by Charles Clay Trabue (1872-1942) and Julia Malone Trabue (1874-1976).

It sat on 15 acres facing Harding Pike and had been part of the Honeywood estate of Julia’s parents, Thomas and Ellen Malone. A farm road along the back of the property became the main entrance to Belle Meade Blvd in 1913 and was a second entrance to the farm. The home shared a southern border with Johnson Bransford’s 20 acre farm Deerfield.

Trabue was a prominent lawyer and served as president of the Tennessee Bar Association from 1931-32. After Trabue’s death, son and daughter-in-law Charles Jr. (1910-2002) and wife Mary Hamilton Trabue (1917-2013) moved into Bonaventure to help Julia. They wed in 1936. Charles Jr. was a partner in the firm that became a Nashville staple: Trabue, Sturdivant & Dewitt. He was also a chairman of the Nashville Public Library and a member of the Vanderbilt University of the Board of Trust. Mary was a member of the Colonial Dames of America and of the Junior League of Nashville. She was a member of the board of the Girl Scout Council of Nashville and Davidson County for years and was president from 1951-56.

Their sons Charles III and Anthony D. inherited Bonaventure. About 1980, they sold the property to Fred Webber, a realtor and developer. The Trabue family remained in Nashville.

Webber demolished the home and developed the property into a subdivision off Belle Meade Blvd. called Bonaventure Place. See Honeywood


Nashville Pikes Vol. 3 150 Years Along Harding Pike, p. 183

Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe


bottom of page