top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Braeburn - Misses Hood and Heron's Retirement Home

Updated: Jan 22, 2023

Sitting above Richland Creek at 211 Deer Park Dr., Braeburn was built by Miss Ida E. Hood (1848-1920) and Miss Susan L. Heron (1852-1933) in 1912. Constructed in Greek Revival style, the 2-story brick mansion sat in the newly developed Belle Meade subdivision overlooking Harding Rd. Misses Hood and Heron called the home Braeburn whose name is derived from brae which is Scottish for slope and burn is the Richland Creek.





Miss Hood and Miss Heron had Braeburn built after they retired from founding and running Belmont College for Young Women. They had started Belmont Collegiate and Preparatory School in 1889 in the old, dilapidated Belle Monte mansion. For about twenty-three years, Hood and Heron educated young women until 1913. They merged with Dr. Ward’s Ward Seminary for Young Women in 1913 and sold the Belmont estate to the new Ward-Belmont.


After 15 years of residence and Miss Hood’s passing, in 1927, John and Susan Cheek purchased Braeburn. After seven years, in 1934, they moved to Oak Hill. In 1940, Caleb “Cale” Powell Haun (1904-1963) and Julia Faye Norwood Chalfant (Haun) (1906-1991) became owners. He was a founder of Equitable Securities. In 1947, Haun and H.E. Rodes formed Franklin Limestone Co., and Julia Haun became a director.


Fourteen years later, in 1964, they sold Braeburn and likely moved to Locust Valley (et al) in Williamson Co. That same year, Vanderbilt University purchased the property to use as the Chancellor’s residence, and Alexander Heard (term 1963-1982) moved in. When Joe B. Wyatt (1982-2000) succeeded Heard, Wyatt and his wife primarily lived on their farm in Dickson county and stayed at Braeburn only when they had Vandy business there. When Gordon (term 2000-2007) and Constance Gee moved in, major renovations occurred. When Dr. Gee left Vanderbilt, his successor, Dr. Nicholas Zeppos (term 2008-pres), did not move into Braeburn but remained at his own home.


In 2020, Braeburn was on the market with nearly 8 acres. See Belmont, Oak Hill, Locust Valley/ River Grange/ Walker’s Bend


Sources:

Nashville: A Short History and Selected Buildings, Edited by Eleanor Graham, 1974

Nashville Pikes Vol. 3 150 Years Along Harding Pike, p. 186

Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Comments


bottom of page