top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Brook House

Updated: Apr 28

Brook House was built in 1932 by Mr. and Mrs. Robert T. Webster at 4431 Tyne Blvd and Belle Meade BL. Its style is Georgian and was inspired by Mount Airy, an 18th century home in Tidewater Virginia.



From Zillow


In 1968, Jack Carroll Massey (1904-1990) and Elizabeth Polak Massey (1909-1968) bought the property. They had been living on Chickering Rd. so they moved down the way a little bit. Elizabeth died that same year. Jack married Alyne Queener Armistead (1927-2012) in 1971. Alyne’s family owned Shadowlawn in Columbia. Massey started his career as a pharmacist opening a drugstore. He grew the chain, sold it and developed a surgical supply business, Massey Surgical Supply. Through his business with Massey Surgical Supply, he met Dr. Thomas Frist. Massey sold his medical businesses, and In 1964, he bought a 60% interest in and developed Kentucky Fried Chicken. He sold his interest in KFC to Heublein in 1971 for $100 million. In 1968, he helped found Hospital Corporation of America with the Frist family. In 1970, he purchased Maryland Farms and began to develop it successfully as an office park. Later, he was involved with Volunteer Capital as a Wendy’s restaurant franchise. Creating Winners Corp., he and Dr. Tommy Frist, Sr. built and developed a hotel and offices now known as Loews Vanderbilt Plaza. He holds the distinction of being the only man to have brought three companies to the New York Stock Exchange.


He gave and received recognition from Belmont University, Cheekwood Mansion and Montgomery Bell Academy and was a founder of Baptist Hospital. Jack established the Alyne Queener Massey Law Library at Vanderbilt University. Alyne was the first woman to serve on the board of Third National Bank (now SunTrust Bank). She also served on the Board of Trustees and of the Kennedy Center at Vanderbilt University, at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC, and of the Library of Congress. She was a founder of the Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee and of Tennessee Performing Arts Center. Alyne was very involved with other philanthropic activities.


Richland Creek flows behind the house which likely led to the name. In 2013, Phyllis S. and Steve G. Fridrich purchased the property with 4 acres from the Estate of Alyne Q. Massey for $4.1 million. Steve is president and managing partner of Fridrich & Clark Realty. Phyllis operates Phyllis Fridrich Interiors. See Shadowlawn

Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Comments


bottom of page