top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Cartwright-Moss House

Updated: Jan 19


Photo by J. R. Manning


Jacob Cartwright (1767-1828) and Patience Hobdy Cartwright (1785-1837) wed in 1803. They built their home at 760 Old Dickerson Pike.


The original structure was a 2 story log house built in 1810; then in 1850, a frame addition was added. Cartwright was part of James Robertson’s original settlers in Middle Tennessee. Their son, John Hunter Cartwright (1812-1863) and his wife Catherine Connell Cartwright (1818-1897) were the next owners. They continued to reside in and farm on the property.


Their daughter, Lilly Cartwright (1854-1938), married Judge Bennett Douglas “B.D.” Bell (1849-1934) in 1882. Judge Bell became a renowned jurist and a justice on the Tennessee Supreme Court in the late 1800s. Judge Bell’s maternal great x3 grandfather was Judge Edward Douglas who held the first court in Sumner Co. Jacob and Patience’s great, great-grandson was James Cartwright Warner of Renraw.


In 1979, Mr. and Mrs. Billy Moss owned the property. NRHP 1979 See Renraw


Sources:


Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Comments


bottom of page