top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Cedarwood/ Cedar Shadow

James Yarbrough (1804-1861) and Margaret “Peggy” Coffman Yarbrough bought 7 acres on Whites Creek Pike in 1827 (current location: 3831 Whites Creek Pike).


They married in 1823. In 1834, they got 89 acres more. The next year, the Yarbroughs built a 2 story weatherboard house at 3831 Whites Creek Pike. In 1842, he was elected magistrate of the Twenty-first District and served 2 terms. In a decade, by 1845, Whites Creek Turnpike was constructed. In 1860, the family had 330 acres.


By James’ death, he left $50,000 to his family. Their son, James H. Yarbrough, inherited the property. He was married to Mary F Perry Yarbrough.


He sold the home and farm to Nancy “Nannie” Reid Smith and Powhatan Williams Smith in 1873. Powhatan named the property Cedar Shadow. Next their daughter, Ethel Williams Trebberd and Delta Trebberd took ownership.


In 1929, they sold to Ethel’s nephew James Turner Williams and his wife Catherine Pridemore Williaims. The Williams family owned Williams Market “Home of Fresh Meats and Fancy Groceries” at 429 Broad St. Changing the name to Cedarwood, the Williams family used the home as a summer house and resided at 11 Waters Ave. in East Nashville. IN 1949, they put in indoor plumbing and a kitchen and moved out permanently to Cedarwood.


The next owners in 1981 were Earl Bates and Martha Bates. He was a Metro councilman. They operated Bates Nursery and Garden Center. Bates Nursery had been open since 1932 and had moved to Whites Creek Pike about 1955.


In 2000, the Bates sold the property to attorney Joseph Allen Kelly and his wife Sammie Leanne Kelly. Six years later in 2006, Cedarwood was sold again to the Wright family - Linda, Karen and Nathan. They reside on property with 50 acres and rent it out for events and weddings as Cedarwood Weddings.

Recent Posts

See All

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Goochland: Vandy Ties

North Jefferson Pike (no longer exists) Built in 1842. 2 story red brick Greek Revival Dr. John Claiborne Gooch (1800-1853) and Elizabeth Ann Saunders Gooch (1814-1877) wed in 1831 and settled in Davi

Comments


bottom of page