top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Claiborne Kinnard House/ Fairview

The Claiborne Kinnard House/ Fairview was built in 1850 by Claiborne Holmes Kinnard (1813-1863) and Elizabeth Ann “Annie” Fleming Kinnard (1818-1884).



Photo by Skye Marthaler


It is located on Route 2/ Carter’s Creek Pike and is a 2 story frame home in Neoclassical style. Claiborne and Elizabeth married in 1834. Claiborne was a prominent farmer and by 1850 had accumulated 300 acres and built the home which he named Fairview. By 1859, the plantation had increased to 560 acres. Kinnard died in 1863. The plantation was willed to Elizabeth. After her death, their son Dr. Claiborne Holmes (C.H.) Kinnard, Jr. (1858-1903) inherited the property with about 500 acres. Dr. Kinnard married Rebecca Brown Campbell (1861-1942) in 1882. Dr. Kinnard had a medical practice and his farming.


Their son, Brown Campbell “Brown” Kinnard (1898-1978) was the next generation at Fairview. Kinnard resided there with family. He was married 3 times: Gladys Truett Kinnard (1893-1926), Ida Beasley Kinnard (1902-1965), and Sally Adams Kinnard (1906-1987). Kinnard was a farmer and businessman. He served as president of the Williamson County Unit of the American Cancer Society. It seems that after Sally Kinnard passed, the home was sold out of the family. Brown’s older brother, Claiborne H. Kinnard and wife Porter owned Windermere.


In 1988, Robert A. and Nell Newman Keenan purchased the property. The Keenans were married 1966. They lived on their own family farm on West Harpeth Rd. He was a general contractor and developer and owned Robert A. Keenan Construction Co. He was a member of the board of Metropolitan Transit Authority in Nashville as well as a board member of the Tennessee Walking Horse Breeders Association and the Walking Horse Owners Association. The couple established the Robert and Nell Keenan Bioscience Fellowship at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville campus.


The farm has been developed into the Kinnard Springs equestrian community with Kinnard Springs Rd. cut through the area. Fairview was on the market in 2022 for over $5M with 31 acres. NRHP 1988 See Windermere


Sources:

Recent Posts

See All

Riverview: Bye bye because of I-65

Near Murfreesboro Rd. and Hwy 96. Circa 1820 Built by John Nichols (1789-1863) and Elizabeth McCown Nichols (1799-1881). They wed in 1814. His father had a Revolutionary War grant in Edgefield in Nas

Hightower Place/ Buck Davis Place

Old Wilson PK south of Old Smyrna Rd. in the current Corondele subdivision. Circa 1800 Richard R. Hightower (1764-1820) and Nancy L. Smith Hightower (1770-1849( were early settlers in the Brentwood ar

Комментарии


bottom of page