top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Dunmore

Updated: Nov 29, 2023

Dunmore, built on Granny White Pike (location unclear), was owned by Dr. Henry William Morgan (1853-1920) and Matilda “Tillie” Alloway Evans Morgan (1859-1928).


They wed in 1880. Morgan was the son of dentist Dr. William Henry Morgan of Avondale. He was the first person to attend and graduate from Vanderbilt University’s medical school in 1875. He became Assistant Professor in the Dental Department in 1879 and from 1911-1918 was Dean of the department. Tillie was the great-grandmother of Irene Jackson Wills, wife of insurance executive and local historian Ridley Wills III. So she was related by family to Jesse and Ellen Wills of Far Hills. She was also the granddaughter of the McNairys of Tammany Woods/ Riverwood.


Dr. Morgan was a partner with his father; then later with his son as well as being on staff at Vanderbilt. He was active in the Methodist Episcopal South church which led to his participation with the founding of the Methodist Episcopal South University which soon became Vanderbilt University. Dr. Morgan was very active in regional and national dental societies. He lived there with his family in 1896.


By 1904, however, he had moved his residence to 2022 West End Ave. Society references in 1907 and 1911 confirm a West End Ave. address with a country home in Monteagle, TN. See Avondale, Far Hills, Tammany Woods/ Riverwood

Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Kommentare


bottom of page