top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Elmington: Warner Family heading west

In 1901, Edwin Warner (1870-1945) and Susan Richardson Hamilton Warner (1881-1947) moved into their new home, Elmington, from the Warner family townhouse in downtown Nashville.





The Warner brothers were leaving their East Nashville roots and family home of Renraw and moving to the west side of Nashville. Elmington was built near the 8th green of the (Nashville) Golf and Country Club where the Warners were founding members. Edwin was a businessman and involved in the community. He served on Nashville government’s Park Board from 1927-1945 and directed the acquisition of much of the additional acreage of Warner Park. In recognition of his contributions, land purchased in the late 1930s to increase the size of Percy Warner Park was named after Edwin. Susan's family, the Hamiltons, originated in Athens, AL, and her father owned a series of merchant and wholesale businesses as he moved from Alabama to Nashville, TN.


Twenty years later, in 1922, the Warners sold the property to Katherine “Kate” (Mrs. Van Leer) Thompson Kirkman when the Warners had built Brook Hill further west. She had just sold her Oak Hill home to John Hancock and Susan Erwin Glenn Cheek. Two years later, Kirkman arranged for a development company to sell off a number of parcels of the estate as well as to cut a street in front of the mansion. That assisted in the growth of the residential area on the east and north side of the Golf and Tennis Club.


Elmington burned down during the Great Depression. Edwin’s brothers were Percy Warner (Renraw, Brook Hill) and Joe Warner (Overbrook). Susan E. Glenn Cheek was the daughter of James and Susan Glenn of Glenn-Merritt Home (Clarksville). The home is remembered through Elmington Ave. nearby and Elmington Park. See Brook Hill, Glenn-Merritt Home, Oak Hill, Renraw


Sources:

Nashville Pikes Vol. 3 150 Years Along Harding Pike, p. 100

Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Comments


bottom of page