top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Franklin Hardeman House/ Sugar Hill




This 2 story brick Greek Revival mansion was built in 1835.


Franklin “Frank” Hardeman (1815-1878) and Catherine Carson Wilson Hardeman (1819-1895) had it constructed on the former site of a substantial 3-story log house (original Sugar Hill) that Franklin’s grandfather, Thomas, had built on 2,160 acres on Lewisburg Pike south of Goose Creek. Franklin’s father, Peter, inherited the log home and 648 acres and lived there until 1820.


After Franklin inherited the property, he and Catherine built Sugar Hill. Franklin was a prominent county politician and served in the Tennessee Legislature 1847-49, 1853-55. Early in his career, in 1796, he was a delegate to the convention that established the first Tennessee Constitution. By 1849, they owned 490 acres. Franklin was a founding investor of the Tennessee-Alabama Railroad and was its first treasurer. After Franklin died, the family continued living there until the early 1900s. Their daughter, Catherine Hardeman Wallace (1851-1923) wed William Ellis Wallace in 1878, and they resided at Sugar Hill as well.


By 1971, Gilbert Allen “Jack” Corn (1931-and Helen Bass Corn (1932-2017) family owned Sugar Hill. Corn was a Franklin businessman. Among other interests, Corn was a partner (and president) with Eddy Arnold and others in the private Brentwood Water Co. started in 1960. He likely was a partner in developing the Meadowlake subdivision because Meadowlake and Iroquois Estate subdivisions used Brentwood Water Co.


In 1988, Walter Travis Bates (1928-2018) and Mary Jo Schmitt Bates (1929-2014) were owners with 8 acres. They wed in 1951. He had owned Nashville Rubber and Gasket. Upon retirement, Bates raised Pinzgauer Cattle and racehorses. He had developed the property under Sugarhill Development. The mansion was called Sugar Hill by Franklin’s father, Peter Hardeman. The current address is 1495 Lewisburg Pike. NRHP 1988


Sources:

Recent Posts

See All

Riverview: Bye bye because of I-65

Near Murfreesboro Rd. and Hwy 96. Circa 1820 Built by John Nichols (1789-1863) and Elizabeth McCown Nichols (1799-1881). They wed in 1814. His father had a Revolutionary War grant in Edgefield in Nas

Hightower Place/ Buck Davis Place

Old Wilson PK south of Old Smyrna Rd. in the current Corondele subdivision. Circa 1800 Richard R. Hightower (1764-1820) and Nancy L. Smith Hightower (1770-1849( were early settlers in the Brentwood ar

Comentários


bottom of page