top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Graymont: One of Two Homes at the top of Green Hills

This 2 story Colonial home on 3 acres was built by Dr. Horace C. Gayden (1896-1975) and Helen Lenore Roberts Gayden (1903-1963) in the mid 1920s.


It was located near the current address 2025 Woodmont Blvd on the hill across from Gray Walls at Hillsboro Rd. and Woodmont Blvd - across from the present-day Woodmont Christian Church. In 1921, Dr. Gayden was a physician for the Tennessee Industrial School. He married Helen in 1922. Later Dr. Gayden had a urology practice on Church St. in the Bennie-Dillon Building - where many young doctors started their careers. Dr. Gayden resided at Graymont after Helen’s death until his death 12 years later in 1975.


The family sold Graymont and the estate, and it has since become Hillmont Condominiums. The name likely came from the color of stone (similar to Grey Walls) and location on the hill overlooking Green Hills and the future Woodmont Estates area where the Puryear and Hampton farms had been.


Sources:

Nashville Pikes: Vol Two 150 Years along Hillsboro Pike, Ridley Wills II, p. 126

Recent Posts

See All

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Goochland: Vandy Ties

North Jefferson Pike (no longer exists) Built in 1842. 2 story red brick Greek Revival Dr. John Claiborne Gooch (1800-1853) and Elizabeth Ann Saunders Gooch (1814-1877) wed in 1831 and settled in Davi

Comentários


bottom of page