top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Grey Walls: Early Green Hills Family

Thomas Howard (T.H.) Estes (1880-1966) and Sarah Willis Newsom Estes (1875-1962) moved from East Nashville in 1924 to the country south of Nashville. The home looked over the fields and farmland of the Puryear and Hampton families across the valley along what in a few years would become the Concrete Blvd/ Woodmont Blvd.


They built the large 2 story English-style Grey Walls that year on 4 acres on the hill at the southeast corner of Hillsboro Rd. and Woodmont Blvd. at 3414 Hillsboro Pike. It was likely named Grey Walls for the stone color of the walls fronting the property. In 1907, T.H. had founded T.H. Estes Lumber Co. operating from the Stahlman Building. In the 1930s, Estes Lumber changed to the wholesale business. About 1935, their son Thomas “Tom” William Estes, Sr. (1903-1986) and wife Mary Clay Sanders Estes (1905-1991) moved in with their family and left in 2 years.


Ten years later, in 1947, Grey Walls was sold to Dr. Carl Simmons who lived there until 1966. The home was vacant for a few years until the early 1970s when the Middle Tennessee Council of the Boy Scouts of America purchased Grey Walls. It was torn down and the new Jet Potter Scout Service Center opened by 1976.


Sources:

Nashville Pikes: Vol. Two, p. 123

Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Comments


bottom of page