top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Horn House/ Williams House: Reclaiming Edgefield

Updated: Nov 30, 2023

Built in 1888 at 800 Russell St., William L. “Will” Horn was the first owner. He was a prominent Nashville realtor. The 1.5 story Richardson Romanesque style home was constructed shortly after the first suspension bridge was finished that connected downtown Nashville to East Nashville.


Horn moved to the new neighborhood of Green Hills on the west side of Nashville and built a new country home in stone called Lone Oak. He sold his Edgefield home to Andrew Mizell (A.M.) and Lillie Mae A. Burton in 1914. Burton used this property as his city home and had his Seven Hills farm (called Burton Hills later) south of what became Green Hills. Many other families began moving to East Nashville as well. Two years later, the Great Fire of 1916 struck and devastated East Nashville, Edgefield and nearby areas. More wealthy families decided to move to the west side and rebuild. When the Williams discovered the property, it was a rental with many persons in it.


Charles Joseph “Charlie” Williams (1944-2006) and Carol Williams purchased the home in 1975 and were pioneers to revitalize the historic Edgefield area and East Nashville. They completely renovated the old structure and added plumbing and electricity. They founded the Edgehill Historic Association. A year later, in 1976, they were able to organize and participate in the first Historic Homes tour of the area. Two years later, their group helped arrange a Historic Zoning Overlay district for the area, and city of Nashville improved the neighborhood with sidewalks, lighting and other city services. Charlie, Carol and other energetic citizens worked for twenty years to improve the area. Charlie was a very civic-minded attorney and principal in Williams and Associates. Later his daughter, Annie B. Williams, joined him. Charlie was involved in many civic efforts as well as handling his law practice. He was the Chief Counsel and lead negotiator for Nashville’s Fraternal Order of Police. Carol was a volunteer with Jess Neely, a board member of Historic Edgefield, and member of Friends of Shelby Park.


The Williams and other neighbors helped to spearhead a revitalization of East Park which had been prominent earlier in the century but had become very rundown. They and their neighbors have been invaluable in revitalizing East Nashville and making it the area it is today. She has continued to reside at 800 Russell after Charlie’s passing. See Lone Oak, Seven Hills/ Burton Hills


Sources:


Recent Posts

See All

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Goochland: Vandy Ties

North Jefferson Pike (no longer exists) Built in 1842. 2 story red brick Greek Revival Dr. John Claiborne Gooch (1800-1853) and Elizabeth Ann Saunders Gooch (1814-1877) wed in 1831 and settled in Davi

Comentarios


bottom of page