top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Hunters Hill

Hunters Hill, located at 5401 Hillsboro Pike, was built in 1928 by Guilford Dudley, Sr. (1854-1945) & Anne Dallas House (1876-1955).



Image from Beautiful Homes & Gardens


It is a 2-story Tudor Revival style of weathered stone and sat originally on 500 acres. Dudley was a founder and president of Life and Casualty Insurance Co. He and the other founders grew the insurance company by selling inexpensive "sick insurance" policies to workers. Anne Dallas was a significant figure in the women’s suffrage movement in Nashville and helped get female suffrage approved in 1920. She is given credit for leading the first suffrage parade in the South in Nashville. In 1935, due to financial challenges caused by the Great Depression, the Dudleys sold Hunter’s Hill and 400 acres.


Then the Dudleys built a new home, Northumberland, on a 100-acre portion of their original land on Harding Place near the intersection of Estes Rd. in the late 1930s. Otto Hayes Lindenberg (1877-1938) and Marie Louise Schwab Lindenberg (1884-1950) bought Hunters Hill and about 45 acres about 1933. The Lindenbergs married in 1905. Otto was president of Lilley-Ames Company in Columbus, OH and an officer with General Utilities Products Co. The Lindenbergs willed the property to their daughter, Elise Lindenberg Houston, and her husband, P.D. Houston, Jr. and daughter Enid Lindenberg Carney. The Houston were involved in several other historic homes in the area.


For forty years, from 1952 to 1992, Hunters Hill and it almost 29 acres was owned by Paul Mountcastle, Sr. (1892-1989) and Lucy Catherine Easterling Montcastle (1903-1982). They married in 1922. Montcastle was President of Life and Casualty Insurance from 1950-1952 and afterward was chairman of the board. Along with Guildford Dudley, Jr., Montcastle pioneered L&C’s WLAC radio and television station which became part of the CBS network. They also supervised the building of the Life & Casualty Tower which became the South’s highest skyscraper at the time.


In 1992, Harold and Jamie R. Stream purchased Hunters Hill and its remaining 6 acres. From 1993 to at least 2003, Ben Page owned the home, and the acreage had been reduced from 26.5 to 6.2 acres. Page is a landscape architect principal with Page/ Duke Landscape Architects. The name may have been taken from Andrew Jackson’s original home near the Two Rivers property. NRHP 2003


Sources:

Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Comments


bottom of page