top of page
  • Jay Brothers

J. B. Daniel Home/ Women's Club of Nashville: Daniel's 2nd Residence


Photo by Nyttend


The J. B. Daniel Home/ Women’s Club of Nashville was built in 1927-1929 by Judge (John) Beauregard T. Daniel (1861-1963) for his second wife May Ledbetter (1866-1974).


They married in 1922. It is a 4-story Greek Revival home originally on 5 acres at 3206 Hillsboro Rd. [He had built Washington Hall on Harding Road for his first wife - Theresa Pendleton Daniel, 1864-1919.] Daniel had formed a law practice with Col. A.S. Colyar in 1883 and then made a name for himself in various appointed judicial offices. About 1950, Judge Daniel retired from his partnership largely due to failing eyesight.



Photo from Women's Club of Nashville website


Five years later, the Daniels sold their home to the Women’s Club after 30 years of residence. The Women’s Club moved from its Louise Ave. site by 1957. Per its website, the Women’s Club “ contributes to and holds fundraisers for many medical and health foundations, the Nashville Symphony, family and abuse centers as well as providing scholarships to young women seeking higher education.” The group stared as the East Nashville Civic Club n 1909. In 1931, it was chartered as the Women's Club of Nashville. In the 1980s, 2.5 acres were sold to fund house repair. NRHP 2016 See Washington Hall


Sources:

Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Comments


bottom of page