top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Lone Oak


Photo from Redfin


Lone Oak was built in 1925 by Willam L. “Will” Horn was constructed of stone in English country manor style at 4306 Lone Oak Rd.


He had lived in East Nashville on Russell St. (Horn House/ Williams House) Will was a real estate developer of country clubs. It remains in Belmont Park Place. The name comes from a lone giant bur oak tree at the corner of Lone Oak Rd. and Castleman Dr. The Horn estate stretched from Lone Oak to Belmont Park Terrace. He added at least 25 acres.


Neil Hunt and Carrie Hunt owned it in 1927. They kept 16 acres and sold the rest to developers - Horn’s remaining lot bordered Lone Oak, Castleman, Belmont Park Terrace and Temple Rd.


In the early 1930s, Fred Pilkerton, Sr. was the next owner. He was president of Nashville Motor Co., a Buick dealer. But he never resided there. In 1941, he moved from Lynnwood Blvd to River Circle Farm on Sneed Rd. near Vaughn Rd.


In 1939, Lone Oak was sold to Dr. Fremont P. Wirth. He was a professor of history at Peabody College who had co-authored two high school textbooks - Development of America and How America is Governed- and the royalties enabled the home purchase. In 1962, Prof. Wirth died.


His widow sold the home to Ira Thomas Adams (1923-2014) and Martha Louis Stafford Adams(1923-2014) who only kept 2.5 acres. Adams started as a teacher in Nashville and then began a successful career as a home builder. Working with his wife, they created subdivisions in Nashville, Franklin and Brentwood. After leaving Lone Oak, the Adams moved to Brentwood.


Robert Bush Sneed, Dr. Warren “Bart” Campbell, heart surgeon, and Mark Brunn owned Lone Oak in succession Brunn owned from 2003-2012. Michael Shane and Melanie Neal purchased Lone Oak from Brunn in 2012. Michael is a renowned portrait artist. He is a member of the board of directors of the Portrait Society of America, the Norman Rockwell Museum’s National Council, the Audubon Artists, and served for 6 years as a member of the Executive Board of Trustees of the Cheekwood Museum of Art. See Horn House/ Williams House


Sources:

Nashville Pikes: Vol Two 150 Years along Hillsboro Pike, Ridley Wills II, p. 137

Recent Posts

See All

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Goochland: Vandy Ties

North Jefferson Pike (no longer exists) Built in 1842. 2 story red brick Greek Revival Dr. John Claiborne Gooch (1800-1853) and Elizabeth Ann Saunders Gooch (1814-1877) wed in 1831 and settled in Davi

Comments


bottom of page