top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Marymount on the Cumberland: A Bishop's Retreat

Updated: Dec 13, 2023


Photo from George Zepp


The mansion was built in 1895 by Julius Zwicker, a Nashville architect. He designed the Silver Dollar Saloon in downtown Nashville.


It was located on a hill near the intersection of Porter Rd. and Cahal Rd. in East Nashville. In 1936, the Most Rev. William L. Adrian (1883-1972) , the Catholic Bishop of Nashville, purchased the property with 3 acres as a second residence. The Bishop of Nashville’s official home was beside the Cathedral on West End Ave.. By the next year, a 2nd floor had been added. Interestingly, in 1939, the Catholic Diocese lead by Bishop Adrian moved a small Catholic summer camp from Joelton to Fairview and called it Camp Marymount - it is continuing strong in 2022.


Twenty-two years later, in 1959, the Catholic Diocese sold the property to businessmen Kemmons Wilson and Wallace Johnson of Memphis who founded Holiday Inn of American motel chain - among other business ventures. The two men planned to convert the property to a subdivision. The next year, in 1960, the home caught fire and burned down. Over time, the Bellwood Park Apartments and the Panorama Apartments were built on the property.


Sources:


Recent Posts

See All

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Goochland: Vandy Ties

North Jefferson Pike (no longer exists) Built in 1842. 2 story red brick Greek Revival Dr. John Claiborne Gooch (1800-1853) and Elizabeth Ann Saunders Gooch (1814-1877) wed in 1831 and settled in Davi

Comments


bottom of page