top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Miles House


Photo by Andrew Jameson


In 1860, the house later known as Miles House was built as a 2-story brick in Victorian style at what is now 631 Woodland St.


It was situated on the edge of the residential area of Edgefield. From 1870-79, the property was utilized as the Nashville Female Seminary headed by Prof. Henry Webber. In the spring of 1877, a serious fire damaged much of the building. Next, it was restored to a residential house and owned by J. W. Lovell, a riverboat captain. Decades later, the East Nashville Fire of 1916 swept through the area and destroyed much of the neighborhood but Miles House survived.


Then the home was owned by Nashville Circuit Court Judge Roy A. Miles. Later it was converted back to an apartment building.


In 1979, the owners were Charlie J. Williams (1944-2006) and Carol Williams who resided nearby at 800 Russell St. The couple have been integral in Edgefield revitalization and restored the home to offices. Charlie was a lawyer and principal in Williams and Associates as well as a well-known civic volunteer including Mayor’s Task Force on Substandard Housing, Founder and first President of the Historic Edgefield Neighborhood Association, Chief Counsel and Lead Negotiator for the Fraternal Order of Police, and the board of the Metropolitan Nashville Sports Authority. Carol has also served as an advocate and volunteer in various civic entities.


In 1978, Miles House was remodeled, and the Law Offices of Phillip Miller have operated from the premises. NRHP 1979


Sources:

Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Comments


bottom of page