top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Montrose


Montrose in 1954. Photo from Tennessee State Library and Archives


Montrose is located at 3605 Woodlawn Dr.


The 2 story brick home sits at the corner of what originally was Woodlawn and Old Golf Club Lane (now Bowling Ave.) In 1899, Dr. Samuel McPheeters Glasgow (1870-1949) and Samuella “Sammie” Keith Glasgow (1877-1964) built Montrose and their land extended along Woodlawn until at least Lynnbrook Rd. They wed in 1909. He was a prominent local doctor who started several free clinics in the area including the North Nashville clinic (now Martha O’Bryan Community House) and the Tennessee Children’s Home. Sammie was the daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Keith of Mile End. After Dr. Glasgow’s death, Sammie Keith lived there until her death in 1964.


In 1966, William Francis Fennessey, Jr. (1929-2015) and LaVerne B. Fennessey (?-1990) bought the place. Fennessey was a building contractor. He served as a paratrooper instructor for the U.S. Army after World War II and also during the Korean War. (His second wife was Virginia Hansen.) Over the century, the owners sold land west of their current plot. The neighborhood became known as the Glasgow Home Place. At some point in the mid-1980s, the Fennessey family moved to Williamson County.


In 1986, Montrose was left to their stepson, Clyde Brown. In 2013, Cinthia J. and Edwin B. Peel bought the property and remained non-resident owners. Edwin is a CPA on Music Square. At some point, it was vacated and remains that way in 2019.


Montrose was sold in 2022. See also Mile End.


Sources:

Nashville Pikes Vol. 3 150 Years Along Harding Pike, p. 123

Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Comments


bottom of page