top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Oakland

Oakland is located four miles west of Gallatin at 1995 Hartsville Pike.


Photo by rossograph


It was completed as a Federal style house with Greek Revival influence in 1850 by John Fonville for Dr. Daniel Wade Mentlo (1804-1870) and Mary Brandon “Polly” Alexander Mentlo (1749-1834). They wed in 1828. Dr. Mentlo was a community leader and physician for many in the area. In 1841, he moved from Hartsville to Gallatin and by 1848, had purchased about 650 acres. He had a working farm as well as his medical practice. After they died, Oakland stayed in the family through son, James Alexander Mentlo who wed Susan Anne Branham.


Then granddaughter Susie Mentlo Anderson (1866-1961) and her husband Samuel Mullins Anderson who resided at Oakland until her death in 1961.


In 1992, Joe D. Harsh owned the property. Harsh is a partner in the Harsh & Harsh law firm. NRHP 1992 See David Chenault House/ Greenfield


Sources:

Images of America: Around Gallatin and sumner County Vol. II


Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page