top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Ravenscroft

Updated: May 16

5925 Ragland Dr. (near Franklin Rd.)

Built about 1892


Ravenscroft was built near Franklin Rd. on part of Judge Overton’s Travellers Rest estate south of Travellers Rest. Since their marriage was in 1892, Robert Edward Lee Overton (1866-1900) and his wife Nancy “Nannie” Baxter Overton (1871-1962) likely wed and lived at Ravenscroft from that date.


Ravenscroft was probably named after Nannie’s grandparents name, Ravenscroft. The couple combined two very well-connected Nashville families. Robert’s parents were John and Mary McConnell Overton of Travelers Rest. Nannie was part of the extensive Baxter clan. Nannie’s parents were Judge Edmund D. and Eliza Tennessee Baxter of Rutledge-Baxter House/ Rose Hill. After the death of Robert from typhoid fever, his sister Elizabeth Lea “Lizzie” Overton Craighead (1860-1931) inherited the property after 1900.


Her first husband was Hugh Lawson White Craighead (1848-1904) and they married in 1878. Craighead was a native of Knoxville and the great-grandson of Judge Hugh Lawson White. He migrated to Nashville early in life and engaged in various business ventures. He served as chief deputy to R.F. Folk, Treasurer of the State. In 1894, Craighead was appointed to the Board of Trustees of the University of Tennessee. After Craighead's death, in 1908, Lizzie married Dr. William G. Ewing (1848-1914) who was dean of the Medical College of the University of Nashville.


Then Mr. and Mrs. Charles Frazer lived there for much of the last half of the twentieth century. In 2016, it was owned by Mr. and Mrs. James C. “Jim” Massey. Massey is a founder (2008) of Fugitive Spirits and involved in real estate. See also Rutledge-Baxter House/ Rose Hill, Travellers Rest


Sources:

Nashville Pikes Vol 1, pp. 206-207


Recent Posts

See All

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Goochland: Vandy Ties

North Jefferson Pike (no longer exists) Built in 1842. 2 story red brick Greek Revival Dr. John Claiborne Gooch (1800-1853) and Elizabeth Ann Saunders Gooch (1814-1877) wed in 1831 and settled in Davi

Kommentare


bottom of page