top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Ridgeview: Farris & Third National Bank

Ridgeview was built in 1930 by Frank Mitchell Farris, Sr. 1890-1950) on 50 acres on Granny White Pike near Overton Lea Rd. and Tyne Blvd.


He married Mary Frances Lellyett (1893-1967) in 1914. [Farris’ father Willis M. Farris was killed while on the train involved in the infamous 1918 Dutchman’s Curve train disaster. Frank used the settlement from his father’s death to fund Third National Bank.] Farris started at Nashville’s State Bank and Trust Co. and eventually opened his own bank, Third National Bank, in 1927. By 1935, he was president. He served two terms as director of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.


Three years after Frank’s death, Mary Frances moved out in 1953. Much of the land was subsequently developed for a subdivision called Glendower Court. The house remains secluded in the back. The name comes from the views of the Overton and Compton Hills. The home name is remembered through Ridgeview Dr. and South Ridgeview Dr.


Sources:

Nashville Pikes, Vol 1, pp. 330-332

Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Comments


bottom of page