top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Sherwood Green House

Updated: Jan 13


Photo by Skye Marthaler


The Green House sits at 2340 Rocky Fork Rd. - about half a mile east of current Nolensville. It was built of logs in 1803 and then covered with a weatherboard about 1840.


Sherwood Green (1766-1840) and Martha “Patsy” Henrietta Christmas Green (1784-1828) settled the homestead. They wed in 1800. Green was part of a survey team mapping the North Carolina territory that became Tennessee. Green had been given a 200 acre grant with his brothers. The acreage was adjacent to that owned by Thomas Christmas, Martha’s uncle. They were part of a survey crew that came through the Cumberland Gap and into the western North Carolina territory.


Green came to the North Carolina western wilderness in 1800, married and settled in the future Williamson Co. area. After Martha died, Green married Mary Ozburn Johnson (1802-1853), another neighbor. By 1830, he was one of the largest landowners in the area because he normally took surveying compensation in land. They grew the plantation to about 1,700 acres around the Nolensville area.


After Green died, Mary wed her brother-in-law, Dr. John Hay. Their son, Edward Johnson Green (1830-1901), inherited the homestead. Edward married Mary Louise King (1837-1922) in 1852. In 1925, there was a Green family reunion, and Lundy Lansford Green (1871-1948) owned the Green House. Lundy, Edward and Mary’s son, wed Maude Mary York (1873-1952) in 1893. Next, son John Edward “John Ed” Green and Ethel McMahon Green resided there until the death of John Ed. In 1988, it was owned by Ben and Janice Green so it seems that the Green family continues to keep ownership.


At some point in the 2000s, Regent Homes purchased a portion of the old estate and has been developing Sherwood Green Estates residential community. In 2015, the Sherwood Green Estates neighborhood was featured as the 2015 Parade of Homes. In 2006, Janice was planning to renovate and restore her property with 8 acres within historical guidelines. NRHP 1988


Sources:


Recent Posts

See All

Riverview: Bye bye because of I-65

Near Murfreesboro Rd. and Hwy 96. Circa 1820 Built by John Nichols (1789-1863) and Elizabeth McCown Nichols (1799-1881). They wed in 1814. His father had a Revolutionary War grant in Edgefield in Nas

Hightower Place/ Buck Davis Place

Old Wilson PK south of Old Smyrna Rd. in the current Corondele subdivision. Circa 1800 Richard R. Hightower (1764-1820) and Nancy L. Smith Hightower (1770-1849( were early settlers in the Brentwood ar

Commenti


bottom of page