top of page
  • Jay Brothers

The Elms

The Elms was built in Nashville on West End Ave.(specific location undetermined - likely in the area of Midtown) around 1904 for Col. Benjamin Augustine Enloe (1848-1922) and Fannie Howard Ashworth Enloe (1847-1937).


They married in 1870. He was involved in the Tennessee government and served as a Tennessee House representative from 1877-1895. From 1874-1886, he edited the Jackson Tribune and Sun newspapers. In 1904, he was appointed secretary of state fair commissioner and director of exhibits from Tennessee for the St. Louis World Fair. In 1904, he was elected railroad commissioner and then was selected Chairman of the Tennessee Railroad and Public Utilities Commision and served in that capacity for 18 years until his death. Enloe died at his home at 1107 18th Ave. South.


After Fannie died, their daughter, Fantine Enloe McClain (1877-1964) and husband Alexander McKenzie McClain (1874-1957) inherited the property. He was a prosperous merchant in the hardware business in Nashville. The name “The Elms” seems to derive from his physician brother, Dr. Thomas Enloe, and his focus on homoeopathic medicines including elm root.

Recent Posts

See All

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Goochland: Vandy Ties

North Jefferson Pike (no longer exists) Built in 1842. 2 story red brick Greek Revival Dr. John Claiborne Gooch (1800-1853) and Elizabeth Ann Saunders Gooch (1814-1877) wed in 1831 and settled in Davi

Comments


bottom of page