top of page
  • Jay Brothers

The Sloan's Hemlocks

Updated: Jul 30, 2022

Situated across the street from Montgomery Bell Academy, Paul Lowe Sloan (1870-1932) and Anne Mai Joy Sloan (1872-1954) bought 4 acres from MBA in 1922. They had married in 1892, and then built a 2 story brick home at 4101 Harding Pike. Sloan was a co-founder of Cain-Sloan & Co. with Patrick H. Cain and John E. Cain in 1903. In 1916, Sloan, the company president, developed tuberculosis. After Paul’s death, Anne Mai remained at the property. After her death, in 1955, Vine Street Christian Church voted to move to a new location. The church was named for the downtown street of its original location, Vine Street. The church purchased the Sloan estate with 5 acres and constructed a new sanctuary fronting Harding Pk. In 2017, Vine Street sold 3.5 acres on the back of the property including the Hemlocks to MBA. In 2019, the home was razed. [Side note: In 1922, MBA also sold several more lots comprising another 4 acres along Harding Rd. and what is now the north end of Ensworth Ave. and extending west which had been part of the Totomoi estate.]


Sources:

Nashville Pikes Vol. 3 150 Years Along Harding Pike, p. 138



16 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Goochland: Vandy Ties

North Jefferson Pike (no longer exists) Built in 1842. 2 story red brick Greek Revival Dr. John Claiborne Gooch (1800-1853) and Elizabeth Ann Saunders Gooch (1814-1877) wed in 1831 and settled in Davi

Comments


bottom of page