top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Wyatt Hall: Deep Methodist, South Ties

The home was built between 1800-1810 in Federal style on Hwy 31 about a mile north of Franklin. The current address is 334 Franklin Rd. It seems to have only been a named home since the early 1940s with the Wyatt family ownership.


By 1826, Daniel Youngman, a tanner, and Dr. W.Y. Dickinson owned the property. Dickinson sold his rights to Youngman in 1833; then Youngman sold Wyatt Hall to William Hardeman in 1836. Hardeman was part of the Perkins clan who built several large homes in the area.




Photo from Zillow


In 1847 Hardeman sold the place to retired Methodist Bishop Joshua Soule (1781-1867), who was an important Methodist law interpreter. Soule became Bishop, Methodist Episcopal Church, South in 1846. Bishop The Soule family owned a home in Nashville at first, but a few years later, they desired a more rural setting. The home had about fifty acres at that time. The bishop resided there with his wife, Sarah Jane Allen Soule (1782-1857) until 1852. They wed in 1803. Bishop Soule had the honor of having two educational institutions named in his honor: Soule University in Texas in 1856 and Soule College in Murfreesboro, TN. The Soules then moved to Gallatin with some land. [Years after Bishop Soule’s death, Bishop McIntyre had his body disinterred and moved to a burial on the Vanderbilt University campus - in addition to several other very prominent Methodist Episcopal Church, South priests.]


In 1852-1856, another Methodist minister, Rev. Dr. John Wesley Hanner (1818-1898), and Melvina C. Coleman Hanner (1820-?) owned Wyatt Hall next. Hanner’s first wife was Elizabeth Rachel Park Hanner (1814-1841). In 1946, William Hubert Early Wyatt (1901-1972) and Margaret Early Wyatt (1903-2001) bought the home in 1946, and they restored the home about 1980. They married in 1927, and Margaret’s family, the Fall and the Early families, owned Pontotoc in East Nashville.


In 2006, John and Theresa Diffendal owned Wyatt Hall. The couple won a restoration award for their work on Wyatt Hall. He is a financial/ banking executive. Four years later, in 2010, Diffendal swapped the home with Fred and Betty J. Steltemeier who had lived on Legends Ridge Dr. The home sits on nearly 8.5 acres of land. The home name reflects the Wyatt family ownership. NRHP 1980 See Pontotoc


Sources:


Recent Posts

See All

Riverview: Bye bye because of I-65

Near Murfreesboro Rd. and Hwy 96. Circa 1820 Built by John Nichols (1789-1863) and Elizabeth McCown Nichols (1799-1881). They wed in 1814. His father had a Revolutionary War grant in Edgefield in Nas

Hightower Place/ Buck Davis Place

Old Wilson PK south of Old Smyrna Rd. in the current Corondele subdivision. Circa 1800 Richard R. Hightower (1764-1820) and Nancy L. Smith Hightower (1770-1849( were early settlers in the Brentwood ar

Kommentare


bottom of page