top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Boxwood Hall (Chickering Rd.): First Fleming Home

1317 Chickering Rd. Nashville, TN

Circa 1939.


One of the last historic homes to make the HTH list cutoff of 1939.


Boxwood Hall was built in 1939. Samuel Milton Fleming and Ada Josephine Cliffe Fleming lived in the 2-story home at 1317 Chickering Rd. He was the leader of Third National Bank and renowned regional banker. In 1960, the Flemings purchased a home in Belle Meade from John Manson Oman III (1906-1960) and Merida Maximina Blanco Pagan Oman - Boxwood at Jackson BL and Belle Meade BL


Fleming let his sister Mickie Fleming Farrar (1906 -1983) and Rudolph Samuel Farrar (1904 -1999)live in the home and eventually they purchased the property. Farrar was an investment banker with Wiley Bros. Investments and a director of Capitol Airways, Jesse Stallings ( Haynes Haven) prominent aircraft company. After Mickie passed away, Rudy remarried to Waldi Harnbostel. At some point, the Fleming family regained it, and Toby S. "TJ" Wilt, Jr. and his wife Betsy now reside three. It was on the market in 2019. See also Boxwood.


Sources:

Chickering Road and its People, p. 137, Ridley Wills


Recent Posts

See All

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Goochland: Vandy Ties

North Jefferson Pike (no longer exists) Built in 1842. 2 story red brick Greek Revival Dr. John Claiborne Gooch (1800-1853) and Elizabeth Ann Saunders Gooch (1814-1877) wed in 1831 and settled in Davi

Judge Edward East Home/ Wesdel

Couchville Pk (former Stones River Rd.) in Donelson Original portion built about 1810/ added 1880 - 2 stories with 18 rooms, wrap-around porches on both levels This property was purchased from the Maj

Comments


bottom of page