top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Christopher McEwen House/ Aspen Grove/ Vanderbilt Legends Club

Christopher Ervin McEwen (1790--1868) was born in Danville, KY and was raised for a time at Ft. Nashborough.

His father, David McEwen moved the family further south to settle on land which he called Springland. It was just south of the current Mack Hatcher Parkway (Hwy 431) between Hillsboro Rd. and Franklin Rd. on Spencer’s Creek. After service with Gen. Andrew Jackson in the War of 1812, Chris McEwen returned and in 1815 wed Rebecca Brown (1799-1827). She was the sister of Aaron V. Brown, who was a Tennessee governor and owned Melrose. The McEwens moved south of the Franklin area and began building Aspen Grove in 1836. McEwens’s 2 story brick Federal and Colonial Revival style home is located northeast of his father David’s plantation off Franklin PIke and along Spencer Creek. It was so named because of the aspen poplars spread on the grounds. Rebecca died before the home was built. McEwen then married Narcissa F. Newsom (1805-1871) in 1828. In 1854, they owned a 483 acre farm. Aspen Grove was renovated in 1910.

It was registered on the National Register of Historic sites in 1988 but removed in 1995. The John Amos family owned the home in 1971, and in 1983, only Mrs Amos owned the property.

The latest owner is Vanderbilt University which purchased the club in 1992 and is located at 1500 Legends Club Ln. Vanderbilt Legends Club which made renovations. The Amos family is remembered with John Amos Dr. NRHP 1988 See Melrose


National Register Properties, Williamson County, TN, Hillsboro Press, 1995, ed. Pearce, Warwick, Hasselbring, p. 136

Recent Posts

See All

Riverview: Bye bye because of I-65

Near Murfreesboro Rd. and Hwy 96. Circa 1820 Built by John Nichols (1789-1863) and Elizabeth McCown Nichols (1799-1881). They wed in 1814. His father had a Revolutionary War grant in Edgefield in Nas

Hightower Place/ Buck Davis Place

Old Wilson PK south of Old Smyrna Rd. in the current Corondele subdivision. Circa 1800 Richard R. Hightower (1764-1820) and Nancy L. Smith Hightower (1770-1849( were early settlers in the Brentwood ar


bottom of page