top of page
  • Jay Brothers

John H. Hunter House/ Rivers Meet/ McCullough House - Early Leipers Fork Settler

Updated: Jun 4

In 1875, Col. John Henry Hunter (1828-1906) and Martha M. Bennett Hunter (1838-1923) built their home at the intersection of Old Highway 96 and Carl Road - near what became the Leipers Fork area.


It is a 2-story brick Italianate home. Hunter married Martha 1859 and later served in the Civil War. Henry was a prominent farmer and held extensive land holdings in what became the Leiper’s Fork area. Hunter's parents were henry and Jane Wyatt B. Hutner. His sister was Sophronia M H. Mayberry who married H. G. W. Mayberry and resided at ??? In the 1870s, he purchased extensive land along the West Harpeth River. By 1878, the Hunter House sat in the middle of 659 acres. Eight years later, in 1878, Hunter had accumulated 1,200 acres and was one of the largest plantations in Williamson County. He had one of the earliest and largest distillery operations in Middle Tennessee. Part of his original land purchase was property from Thomas Hart Benton. Later, the Hunter-Preston Farmhouse was built in 1907 from materials ordered from Sears & Roebuck catalog.


Their son, Dr. George Bennett Hunter (1831-?) inherited the property. Dr. Hunter also purchased the Hunter-Preston Farmhouse and Farm in 1865 with about 500 acres. He wed Louise Bennett Hunter (1841-1916) in 1872.


Their child was Annie Louise “Lou” Hunter McLemore Bennett (1843-1946). Dr. Hunter increased the farm acreage to 1,300. The Hunter family has kept ownership throughout the years, but most of the property has been sold. In 1988, it was owned by Harriett B. McCullough and had 2.75 acres. NRHP 1988


Sources:


Recent Posts

See All

Riverview: Bye bye because of I-65

Near Murfreesboro Rd. and Hwy 96. Circa 1820 Built by John Nichols (1789-1863) and Elizabeth McCown Nichols (1799-1881). They wed in 1814. His father had a Revolutionary War grant in Edgefield in Nas

Hightower Place/ Buck Davis Place

Old Wilson PK south of Old Smyrna Rd. in the current Corondele subdivision. Circa 1800 Richard R. Hightower (1764-1820) and Nancy L. Smith Hightower (1770-1849( were early settlers in the Brentwood ar

Comments


bottom of page