Texada
- Jay Brothers
- 1 day ago
- 2 min read
222 Wall St South Natchez, MS
Circa 1799 2.5 story brick structure

First documented brick building in Natchez area
Manuel Garcia de Texada (1756-1817) was sent to Natchez in the 1780s. By 1782, he was the mayordomo of the Natchez Royal Hospital. Texada constructed Texada Tavern from 1798-1805. It remains in an early area of town called "Spanish Town." In 1805, a city document lists Texada as the most valuable building in Natchez. He was a prominent planter and accumulated much real estate.
In 1817, Edward Turned (1778-1860) bought Texada, and it was used for meetings of the new state legislature. Turner was a Virginia native who studied law at Transylvania Univ. in Kentucky and was one of the most prominent citizens in the Natchez territory. He was married twice: Mary West (1786-1811)(m.1802) and his second wife was Eliza B. Baker Turner (1789-1877)(m.1812). He served as Mayor of Natchez from 1815-1819, clerk of the territorial House of Representatives, state attorney general, speaker of the state House of Representatives and chief justice of the state supreme court (1824-1832, 1840-1843).
He also owned Holly Hedges and Woodlands estate. Uses in the 1800s: tavern, dancing academy, wax museumTexada was remodeled into a duplex in the 1830s and the original entrance was changed.
By 1853, the Turners gave the place to their daughter Mary Louisa Turner McMurran and John T. McMurran, and it was listed as a large brick double house.

In 1961, a renovation included a new doorway from a demolished residence on Burling Hill was used. George W. and Margaret Moss were owners and ran a bed and breakfast inn as well as an antiques store from the place.
As of 2015, the Moss family heirs remained owners. NR 1979 See Woodlands, Holly Hedges
Sources:



Comments