top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Washington B. Cooper Home: An Artist's Home

This 2 story, 13-room brick home had been built earlier by Samuel Watkins (1794-1880).


Watkins was a businessman and in his will made a bequest of money and land to found Watkins Institute. Washington Bogart Cooper (1802-1888) and Ann Litton Cooper (1806-1892) purchased the home and land from Nathaniel A. McNairy in 1845 which sat near the current Charlotte and Clifton Aves (current 507 20th Ave. North). The Coopers married in 1839. Cooper was a renowned portraiture artist.


In 1885, the Coopers sold the property to Soloman “Sol” Thomas Satterwhite (1843-1912) and Lucy C Butler Satterwhite (1846-1916) who was his cousin. Satterwhite was a clerk with the Nashville, Cincinnati, and St. Louis Railroad as well as becoming Nashville’s first taxidermist. The home, torn down years ago, had been located behind the current American Cancer Association building. [The home was near her sister Margaret Litton Bostick’s house, Hardin P. Bostick House.]


Sources:

Nashville Pikes Vo. 4 Charlotte, Clifton and Hydes Ferry Pikes

Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Comments


bottom of page