top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Charles Ready Home/ The Corners: Founder of Readyville

The Charles Ready Home/ The Corners was built on U.S. Hwy 70 South in Readyville, on the East Fork of the Stones River.



Photo by Brian Stansberry


Col. Charles Ready (1770-1859) and Mary Palmer Ready (1773-1848) built one of the first brick homes in Rutherford County in the early 1820s. It is built in Federal style. Charles and Mary wed in 1797. Charles founded the unincorporated town of Readyville. In 1811, he also was a member of the commission appointed to relocate the county seat. Charles disagreed with the final site selection and quit the town commission. When Rutherford County was created in 1803, Col. Ready was one of the original petitioners and became one of the justices of the peace. The National Register of Historic Places narrative notes that when Cannon County was formed, the line of separation between Rutherford and Cannon counties came right down the center of the house’s main hall. Charles also built and ran a saw mill on the Stones River.


After Col. Ready died, his daughter, Jane Campbell Ready Talley (1815-1876), and her husband, Peter Coleman Talley (1810-1884), inherited the house. They wed in 1842. (Jane’s first husband was Dr. William Donoho.) In 1886, the property was sold out of the family. The property continued to have several owners including for a long unknown period the Barker family. By 1973, Jack Oliver owned it.


The next owner was Tomm Brady, an entrepreneur, who purchased the Corners including its mill. In 2013, Karen and Bob Ford operated Goodness Gracious Restaurant and Catering out of The Corners.The house was named The Corners by Col. Ready because it was located where two roads crossed. NRHP 1973


Sources:


Recent Posts

See All

留言


bottom of page