top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Cumberland Hall/ Alfred A. Robb House

Updated: May 2


Photo by Sbugsyk


Built at 529 York St. in 1859, the Alfred R. Robb House/ Cumberland Hall has an Italianate style.


Alfred R. Robb (1818-1862) and Mary Helen Conrad Robb (1826-?) bought property that was part of the Gustavus Henry estate. Robb was from Sumner County and came to Montgomery County in 1850, practiced law, helped found a local bank, and was involved in the local colleges. He served in the Tennessee House of Representatives in 1861. Alfred was wounded in Civil War combat in 1861 and died in 1862. The Robb land holdings had greatly increased over the years.


The Robb family kept the home until 1910 when heirs sold the property to Joseph “Joe” Goldberg (1867-1925) and Ida Edith Klein Goldberg (1881-1950). Goldberg emigrated from Russia in 1900, moved to Montgomery Co. and became a prominent part of Clarksville’s Jewish community. He began his career with his cousins in the Rubenstein & Schinder Dry Goods store. He then opened his own store. Goldberg opened the Lillian Theater(named for the Goldberg's daughter), Clarksville’s first movie house in 1913 on Franklin St.


The Lillian Theater burned two years later in 1915 and was rebuilt. He also built the Majestic Theater and altered it to allow live performances. Later, he purchased real estate in downtown Clarksville and created the famous Goldberg Block. Goldberg created the Crestwood Subdivision, and by 1927, it was completed.


The next owner was Ann Potter DeMyer (1890-1974). In 1934, DeMyer sold the house to (James) Marvin Hayes, Sr. (1897-1947) and Ann Elizabeth. Davis Hayes (1896-1987). He was from Lewisburg, TN, married Ann in 1917, and they moved to Clarksville where he founded his freight business. Hayes Sr, owned Hayes Transfer & Freight Line.


In 1934, Ann Elizabeth sold Cumberland Hall to her son Lt. Col. James Marvin Hayes, Jr. (1921-2002) and his wife Elizabeth Wallace Hayes (1921-2005). In 2000, James and Elizabeth remained owners of the home.


In 2017, Austin Peay State University purchased the Robb House and began renovations. Alfred named his home Cumberland Hall, presumably because it stood over the fork of the Cumberland and Red Rivers. The Robb family is remembered with Robb Ave. and Helen St. near the property. NRHP 2000 See Forbes-Mabry House


Sources:


Recent Posts

See All

Commentaires


bottom of page