top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Drane-Patch-Catlett Place

Updated: 2 days ago

Near West and Home Aves. Clarksville, TN

Circa 1865. 2-story brick with stone accents.


Sitting on twenty or more acres, Elizabeth Jane McClure Drane (1808-1889) built this home after her husband, Dr. Walter Harding Drane died.

Photo from ASPIRE APSU


They wed in 1825 and had been living on her family’s plantation Fairfield Farms near Ringgold. The new town estate stretched from North Second Street to Fifth Street. After Elizabeth’s death in 1889, her heirs offered the land for sale.


Two years later, in 1891, Asahel Huntington (A.H.) Patch (1825-1909) and Sarah M. Patch (1835-1917) purchased the estate. Her sister Fannie March lived with them. He was an industrialist from Massachusetts. He started the Patch Foundry (1898-1955) and invented and produced the Black Hawk Corn Sheller. Their great, grandson was Elwyn Trahern Patch of Tip-Top. By 1900, their daughter Fanny Patch Catlett and her children moved to the house from their Kentucky farm after her husband John A. Catlett died.


Later, son John A. Catlett, Jr., Louise Jackson Catlett and their family resided at the Drane-Patch-Catlett Place. In 1976, Louise and her son John A. Catlett III sold the property to Arrington Realtors.


It was owned by others until 1987 when Austin Peay State University purchased the remaining property and tore down the house. See Drane-Leigh House/ Fairfield Farm, Tip-Top

Recent Posts

See All

Kommentare


bottom of page