top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Johnson-Hach House: Daughter-in-Law was Grand Dame of Southern Cooking

Updated: Jun 23

403 Greenwood Ave. Clarksville, TN

Circa 1877. 2-story Italianate style home

Photo by Sbugsyk

Johnson-Hach House was built on Greenwood Ave. south of Madison Ave. (U.S. Hwy 41). The house sits on 6.7 acres and was built about 1877 by Polk Grundy Johnson (1844-1889) and Nannie W. Tyler Johnson (1841-1877). She was his next door neighbor and the sister of Judge Tyler.

They wed in 1875. Polk’s first wife was Emma V. Robb who died in 1872. He was an attorney and Chancery Court Clerk and was the son of Congressman Cave Johnson and Mary Boyd Johnson. Johnson served in the TN House of Representatives from 1875-1877. When Polk died, Nannie remained at the house until her death in 1911. Then it was willed to her sister, Emmie Tyler.

By 1912, she sold the property to the Montgomery County School Board. The home was repurposed and used as a boy’s dormitory for Clarksville High School for about 5 years.

Next, in 1917, (Julius) Adolph Hach (1884-1950) and Erna S. Hach (1892-1979) bought the property. Adolph was another tobacconist and partner in Rudolph, Hach and Company. He promoted Clarksville Aviation and Airfield, had an interest in Dunbar Cave Recreational site, and was a stockholder in ACME Boot Company.

Upon Erna’s passing, Johnson-Hach House was inherited by their spinster daughter, Erna Auguste Hach (1914-1991) who lived there until her death. Their son Adoph K. Hach built Tanglewood. The Hach’s son, Adolf Karl Hach, married Phila Rawlings who became the Grand Dame of Southern cooking. In 1950, she started a six year series called Kitchen Kollege which she called “the first women’s television show in the South.” Thereafter, Phila won numerous other culinary and cooking awards. The Rawlings family was from Joelton, TN and built and ran Shadowbrook, an English Tudor mansion restaurant which boasts fine dining and special events. They also owned and operated the Rawlings Club and Swimming Resort.

By 1998, George Terrell owned the property. In 2010, Marlin Huddleston and Lisa McClain were the owners and renovating the property. Huddleston is the owner of 3L Communications. McClain is the Montgomery Co. Driver Safety Administrator. The home was featured on the Clarksville Architectural and Writers Tour in 2010. See Tanglewood NR 1998


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page