top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Washington Hall (Davidson Co.): 1st JBT Daniel Home

Updated: Feb 23



Judge John Beauregard T. Daniel (1861-1963) and Theresa Pendleton Daniel (1867-1913) constructed their home at 3700 Whitland Ave. in 1913. It was inspired in part by Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello and by Lord Chiswick's mansion in London. Within 6 months of moving in, Theresa died. Previously, they had lived in a large 2 story stone townhome at 2015 West End Ave. Evidently, the Daniel family was displeased by the noise of the new Catholic cathedral being built next door so they built another abode much further away to the west.


In 1922, Judge Daniel built another mansion on Hillsboro Pike for his second wife, May Ledbetter Daniel (1866-1974). Either he lost interest in Washington Hall or his new wife would not live there or both. Beauregard moved to Nashville from Linden in 1883 and began a law practice with Col. A. S. Colyar which lasted about 15 years.


Luke Lea purchased the property in 1936 and remained with his family until 1945. He was publisher of The Tennessean. (See Lealand for more about Luke Lea.)


Later Elizabeth “Betsy” Howe purchased the property because her home, Acklen Hall, burned in 1980. In 1985, Thompson “Tommy” and Joann Patterson purchased Washington Hall and renovated it. Tommy is a principal with Christianson Patterson Courtney and Associates, real estate firm.


The next owners by 2012 were Howard (1930-2017) and Hope Stringer. Howard was president and chairman of the Colonial Apparel Company. The Stringers were very involved in the local community. Hope has been involved with the Conservancy for the Parthenon and with the board of Centennial Park among numerous others. See Acklen Hall, John B. T. Daniel House, Lealand


Sources:

Nashville Pikes Vol. 3 150 Years Along Harding Pike, p. 110

Recent Posts

See All

Burlington (Abbott-Martin Rd.)

Originally Abbott Lane (current Abbott-Martin Rd.) Nashville, TN Circa 1932. (Joseph) Parkes Armistead (1893-1984) wed Katherine Moore Armistead (1897-1988) in 1917. About fifteen years later, they bu

Currey Hill to Rose Park: A Hill of Change

1000 Edgehill Ave. Nashville, TN Circa 1800. Large 2-story home The spot of Nashville has seen so much change: Currey Hill to Meridian Hill to gigantic rock quarry Rock Crusher Hill to Rose Park. Robe

Comments


bottom of page