top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Washington Hall - The Washington Kids' Competition

Updated: May 24

Was off Turnersville Rd. near Wessyngton Plantation house

Built in 1996. 3-story white brick mansion


George Augustine Washington Jr. (1868-1926) and Marina “Queenie” Kirkman Woods Washington (1868-1959) built Washington Hall in 1896 - two years after they wed. It was a white brick mansion with 44 rooms in the Cedar Hill area in Robertson Co. Washington's father, G.A. Washington, Sr. had deeded over a 1,000 acres to his son in 1888.



The Washingtons were part of the tremendous tobacco plantation anchored by Wessyngton. Washington was the son of George Augustine Washington of Wessynton Plantation. Queenie was the daughter of Robert F. and Marina Cheatham Woods of Nashville. The Woods had relocated from Louisiana.


Washington’s sister was Jane Washington Ewing. She and her husband built Glen Raven on their inherited portion of the land from the father’s estate of Wessyington. Evidently, Jane and George had a sibling rivalry about whose mansion could be grander. Washington’s other sister was Mary Washington Frazer, who was married to James Stokes Frazer of Frazer Hall and then to David Shelby Williams of Glencliff. Washington was a director of the L&N Railroad.


Queenie was heavily involved with the University of the South at Sewanee, and was the only woman made an honorary alumna of Sewanee. After Washington’s death, Queenie left Tennessee and resided and died in New Orleans.


By 1941, Washington relatives sold the property to the Werthan family in Nashville. Joseph "Joe" Werthan (1889-1967) and Adie Mae Bogatzky Werthan (1889-1965) purchased Washington Hall. They wed in 1911. Werthan entered the family business Werthan & Comp. in 1908. The company handled scrap metal and also the acculmulattion, reconditioning, and distribution of burlap bags to grain elevators and feed mills. Werthan and his brother became principals in Werthan Bag and focused on the bag portion. In 1918, the company purchased and converted the former Marathan Motor Works into a bag factory. Later, Werthan wento into residential and commercial real estate. The couple purchased and started Warioto Farms in Williamson County and focused on show horses. The Werthan family was a major benefactor of Vanderbilt University Medical Center.


In the early 1940s, they purchased and never resided at Washington Hall. By 1948, the Werthans had transfered the deed to their son Howard. He did nothing with the house, the furnishings of Washington Hall were sold, and the huge mansion was abandoned.


By the early 1960s, hay bales were stored in the home. In 1965, it burned. See Frazer Hill, Glencliff, Glen Raven, Wessyngton


Sources:


Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page