top of page
  • Jay Brothers

William Harrison McCord Home


Photo by rossograph


Located on U.S. Hwy 41A in Eagleville, Dr. William H. McCord (1838-1896) and Sarah Macon Williams McCord (1845-1890) built the home in 1882. It was constructed in Italianate style. William got 198.5 acres from his father-in-law as a wedding gift in 1868. Sarah was the daughter of Chesley and Elizabeth Williams of Civil Order. Sarah was a writer and published author. Dr. McCord attended the College of Surgeons in Philadelphia, and he served in the Civil War. He became a well-known local physician in the area after the Civil War as well as owning a saw mill. He was a board member of Eagleville School.


Their son, John Harrison McCord (1873-1962) and Laura Green McCord (1875-1948) were the next owners. Afterward, the property was vacant for 30 years. Then nephew, Sgt. William Puckett “Joe” McCord (1905-1989) and (Emma) Dolores McKnight McCord (1921-2017) took possession.


For about 30 years from the late 1960s to mid 1990s, the home was vacant. Since about 1996, the latest family owners, Don Edward McCord (1945-2018), great-grandson of Dr. McCord, and Ray Anne Jones McCord, owned and continued the restoration of the home. After Don’s death, Ray Anne McCord purchased the McCord Home from his estate. NRHP 1984 See Civil Order

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page