top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Wilson Place

Updated: Jun 26

Robert Wilson (1774-1851) and Charlotte Anne Armstrong Wilson (1805-1874) built this 3 story Greek Revival home on Greene Rd. in 1834. They wed in 1826.


Their son, John James Wilson (1830-1907) and Alice Mebane Ballanfant Wilson (1854-1946) were the next owners. They wed in 1894. He was a Columbia attorney. He expanded his practice to Hickman County, and later was elected a Tennessee state representative.


Eleven years after Alice’s death, Wilson Place was sold out of the family. In 1957, Dr. Thomas Kay “Tom” Young (1913-2005) and Elizabeth Ann “Mama Ann” Maury Young (1916-2003) purchased the property. The Youngs met in Memphis and married in 1939. Dr. Young served as a flight surgeon in the armed services and contracted polio at one posting. He survived and recovered his abilities with Mama Ann’s tremendous support. The couple moved to Columbia in 1951, and Dr. Young helped establish the Dan German Hospital as Columbia’s first Board-certified surgeon as well as maintaining a family practice. Mama Ann became very involved with the Junior League and the J.K. Polk Memorial Assc. Later, Dr. Young was instrumental in founding Maury Regional Hospital.


In 1972, fire destroyed the home. The owners rebuilt a one story home on the foundation.


Sources:

Recent Posts

See All

Halcyon Hall

212 West 6th St. Columbia, TN Circa 1845. Built in 1845, Joseph Alfred Walker (1810-1882) and Adaline Ann Elizabeth Nelson Walker (1818-1868) lived in Halcyon Hall. They wed in 1832. The property stoo

Comentarios


bottom of page