top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Glennwood/ Glenn-Hudson House

Updated: Jun 6

145 East Glennwood Dr. Clarksville, TN

Circa 1857. 2-story white brick Second Empire style home.


Glennwood was built in the mid-nineteenth century.


Col. W.A. Quarles built the home but left to fight in the Civil War. When Quarles returned, he needed to pay debts so in 1867, James L. Glenn (1828-1916) took possession of the house and the estate of 30 acres to pay the debts. Glenn was founder (with partner David N. Kennedy, president) and cashier of (originally Kennedy and Glenn, Bankers and Exchange Dealers) Northern Bank of Tennessee and in partnership in the wholesale grocery house John Hurst & Company. Glenn wed Ella Poindexter Glenn (1835-1875).Their granddaughter, Susan Ewin Glenn Cheek married John Hancock Cheek of the Cheek/ Maxwell House Coffee family.


After Glenn died, his heirs sold the estate to George Taylor Fort (1886-1938) and Lucy Lillian Crouch Fort (1890-1964) in 1921. Lucy was the daughter of Jack and Margaret Frances Crouch. Jack was a very prosperous and prominent tobacconist in Montgomery Co. Geoge was president of Northern Bank and of Security Trust Co.(1917). Fort began developing the land for a subdivision called Glennwood Park in two phases: 1924-1935 and 1936-1946.


In 1935, Judge William David (W.D.) “Pete” Hudson Sr (1891-1963) and Violet Hutton Hudson (1898-1983) bought Glennwood in 1934 with the intention to alter the style to Colonial Revival. Fort asked Mayor Hudson to buy Glennwood. Pete was Mayor of Clarksville from 1948-1938 and then was Montgomery County Judge from 1951-1961. He also developed a successful business of barging and transporting gas and oil along the Cumberland River as well as starting the radio station WJZM. The Hudson family had a farm in the area. W. D. Hudson, Jr. (1920-2000) and Martha Wood Hudson resided there next. Hudson Jr. was co-founder of Cumberland Milling Co. and Dixie Fresh Egg Company. He served as a Navy officer in World War II. His second wife was Sarah Albright Hudson.


The Glenn-Hudson home remained in the family until 1993 when Dr. & Mrs. Steve Wallace purchased it and continues to own and renovate the Glenn-Hudson House. Dr. Wallace practiced orthodontics at Clarksville Orthodontics Specialists. James named the residence Glennwood; it changed to Glenn-Hudson after the Hudson family purchased it. See Glenn-Merritt Home


Sources:


Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page