top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Gracey-Tarpley House

Updated: 7 days ago

331 Franklin St. Clarksville, TN

Circa 1860. 2-story brick home.



Capt. Francis “Frank” Patten Gracey (1834-1895) and Irene lived in this 2 story home on Franklin St. They wed in 1857. They had lived in Eddyville and Franklin and had engaged in mercantile and tobacco trades.


Irene Cobb Gracey (1836-1906), wife of Gracey, bought the home which became known as the old F. P. Gracey place in 1882 from the Clerk and Master of Montgomery County. Irene was the daughter of Dr. Joshua Cobb, a physician and prominent Clarksvillian. The Graceys wed in 1857.

Gracey owned several iron furnaces in the area and had served as mayor twice. Gracey and his brother had run F. P. Gracey and Brother. In 1866, Gracey also established a wharfboat on the Cumberland River.


Two years later, in 1869, they started Clarksville Transportation Company and worked with the Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company for delivery of all freight shipped with them to Clarksville. This arrangement revolutionized freight delivery in the city. In 1878, Gracey Warehouse was built at Second and Commerce Streets and later was called the Queen City Warehouse. Gracey then bought the Grange Warehouse in 1884. He also owned a large grain depot and other tobacco storage buildings. At one point, he was an officer of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. Other interests included the iron industry, Clarksville Water Company, Clarksville Gas Company and a large farm called Redbrook (now owned by Austin Peay State University).


In 1899, Irene sold the Gracey-Tarpley House to Frances Pollard Rudolph (1863-1950) and Dr. Marshall L. Rudolph (?-1930). Dr. Rudolph was a dentist. After her husband’s death, Frances moved to Lajolla, CA to live near her sister.


A quarter century later, in 1924, Frances sold the home to A.D. Crotzer and Emma Crotzer. Four years later, they sold to John Boone Tarpley and Elizabeth Ramsey Tarpley in 1928.


In 2023, the structure was divided into office spaces. The Law Office of Gregory D. Smith is among the tenants.

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page