top of page
  • Jay Brothers

Lewis-Gracey Residence

Updated: Jun 19

611 Madison St. Clarksville, TN

Circa 1853. Imposing 2-story Greek Revival mansion


Col. George Thomas Lewis (1816-1882) and Margretta Barnes Lewis (1812-1900) built this 2 story Greek Revival mansion on Madison St.


They moved from Stewart County (where Lewis had run Cumberland Iron Works) to Clarksville and onto land comprising a number of lots between Sixth and Seventh Streets and Commerce and Madison Streets. Lewis was a very successful merchant. In 1868, Lewis was named a receiver to administrate the Memphis, Clarksville and Louisville Railroad. After their children were raised, the Lewis family built a new home called River Cliff outside Clarksville. While the family retained ownership of the mansion until the early 1900s, no family member resided there.


Lewis heirs sold the property to Edwin Rutherford Wallace (E.R.W.) Thomas (1824-1893) and Fredonia F McGinty Thomas (1828-1893). ERW had a merchandise store on the square. A daughter Minnie Thomas (1859-1919) married Julien F. Gracey (1858-1929) in 1883, and the Thomas family was raised there. Julian’s parents were Frank and Irene Gracey of Gracey-Tarpley House.Thomas.Minnie's sister was Elizabeth "Bettie" Thomas Drane and Dr. H. T. Drane of Drane-Leigh/ Fairfield Farm. Julien started a law practice, but then became an attorney with the Louisville & Nashville Railroad Co. in 1884. Three years later, in 1887, he was appointed superintendent of the Clarksville & Princeton division of the railroad. The line extended to Princeton, KY. In 1895, Julien and Minnie were living in the Lewis-Gracey home as well. Next, Julien was divison freight agent at the headquarters. From 1896-1909, he was president of Gracey-Woodard Iron Co., general manager of the Clarksville Street Railway & Light Co.. In 1899, the Thomas family built a summer home called Redbrook Farm.


Her younger sister Maude Thomas (1862-1940) wed Seely Dunn (1869-1944) and their family lived there briefly until moving out. After Maude passed away, no other family members remained at the property.


The Lewis-Gracey home was vacant for a long time. In 1936, it was demolished, and the Gracey Apartments were built on the site. See Gracey-Tarpley House, Drane-Leigh/ Fairfield


Sources:


Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page